Thursday, February 7, 2013

Review of: Legends of Animation: Hayao Miyazaki


Hayao Miyazaki is my all-time favorite animator and Studio Ghibli is my favorite film studio. His works inspire me to follow my dreams and to never stop being the quirky, creative girl that I was born to be. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.  His movies have touched so many. It's really fantastic.

Miyazaki was born on January 9, 1941 in the town of Akebono-cho in Tokyo. His views on the world were shaped mostly by his mother. She would often question things that were socially accepted. Hayao had 3 siblings, and his family owned Miyazaki Airplane, which made rudders for fighter planes during World War 2. These planes were the influence for many creations to come.
In his young life, Miyazaki loved comic books and wished to become a manga artist when he was older. One of his favorite manga artists was Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy.
Later on he decided he wanted to look into and study animation more instead, although he has done some comics throughout his career.

Miyazaki joined other projects before Studio Ghibli and did character designs for television shows and other little things like that.  He always wanted to do more, and was at times disappointed at the lack of originality presented.

His first major film was NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind, which was adapted from one of his popular manga. It's success led to the formation of Studio Ghibli where Miyazaki could continue to make movies in his vision. American audiences soon caught on and the studio's fame spread worldwide.

The first movie of his I saw was Spirited Away while I was on a field trip with my class in 3rd grade. The beautiful, unique animation caught my interest and I couldn't look away. It was a little weird, but nonetheless gorgeous. From then on, I've been a fan. I saw Ponyo, then Kiki's Delivery Service, then Howl's Moving Castle, and so on. 
I truly believe his films will live on as undying classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment