Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Let Me Tell You About Homestuck


Books are not the only source for great stories.  I read many different things.  Have you ever heard of visual novels?  They're Japanese.  Why, I read those on the computer, and I must say I absolutely adore them.  A select lot of them have displayed extreme creativity that I've never found in any book.  Unfortunately, many don't have English versions or require the download of complicated patches and things.  It's good practice for me to get a feel for the workings of the programs, but highly sluggish.  So I usually don't have the time to figure out these things, you understand.

I'm probably getting off track here.  You're wondering about the title, of course!

Rose - Seer of Light
Jade - Witch of Space
John - Heir of Breath
Dave - Knight of Time


Homestuck is a webcomic born and drawn by a man named Andrew Hussie.  Currently 6,000 pages and counting, it is the longest running series pretty much ever on the internet.  
The comic stars four kids, each around 13 years old, who start playing a game called Sburb together on John's birthday.  That's the blue boy if you weren't following.  As it turns out, their game was either destined to bring about the end of the world, or was set up to save it.  I could go on and on about the plot and the things in which I read about, but that would simply be too long to post here.  So [SPOILER ALERT] here you go.  Enjoy spending an hour reading that.

The Homestuck universe explores whole universes, multiple dimensions, and time travel all at once, thus making it the biggest, most immersive story world I've ever read about.  There are amazing, awesome planets like:
  • The Land of Wind and Shade
  • The Land of Light and Rain
  • The Land of Heat and Clockwork
(I know there's another one I just haven't read about yet :x)

And those are just a few of the wondrous places these darlings go.  There's also a battle between good and evil, light and dark going on somewhere along the line.  
I'd explain more, but it's hard.  Homestuck is hard - hard to wade through, hard to understand or even comprehend, and most importantly hard to get into.  When I first started reading it, I thought it was the stupidest thing ever.  It still is, just in a more lovable way.  
See, Homestuck is separated into acts.  Acts 1 - 3 were painful.  But I've escaped from that now on Act 4.  It's true what they say.  Homestuck does gradually get better.  It starts off on a horrible note, and holds that horrible note until about the middle of the entire thing, which is... bad, you know.  If a story is really worth reading, I'd rather enjoy it the whole way through, not just sort of begin to towards the middle.  Oddly enough, it has the largest fan base.  It's really astonishing.

The problem I had with Homestuck was that it felt like each page was just procrastinating until the next.  It was like a challenge of boredom; how much could I take?  I felt it was too hopelessly haphazard to ever construct a decent storyline and was just a big time waster.  I was in for a pleasant surprise when I realized the plot had been sneaking up on the reader the entire time.

Homestuck is a literary experience.  That's all I can say.  It has even been compared to the famous novel Ulysses by James Joyce due to its large cast of characters and seemingly endless trail of random details.  I can't say Homestuck is for everyone, but definitely worth the look-see.



Just goes to show, I don't have to be a bookworm to enjoy reading or enhance my creativity and comprehension skills.  The existence of Homestuck is all the proof I need.  ...Is there such thing as a webworm?
[edit: Forgot this was for school.  It's important for you, whoever you may be, to be aware that, yes, Homestuck has swearing in it.  If you're uncomfortable with that, you probably shouldn't go anywhere near it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment