Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Review of: How To Write a Sentence and How To Read One


I have no idea what it was that I just read.  Nonfiction, apparently.
Okay, this is a book written by some college professor, is it?  Cool, but unfortunately I'm not yet in college, and so I'm disappointed in the fact that the vocabulary used throughout was too difficult for me to grasp hold of.  I read through it though.  It was a rough journey.

The only way I can accurately explain my feelings to you is this:
Say this book had a different title and focus.
Instead it would say "How To Make Music and How to Listen to It".
Many music fans would be drawn in by the title (and the fancy cover of course), but not all of them would like it.  Most of them wouldn't, I presume, and all because the author chose a vague title to focus on a smaller subtopic.
So you're a fan of hip hop music and you pick up this book - you're a fan of techno or dubstep - you're a fan of country, and you are disappointed because all the author chooses to give you as "true music" is classical.  Can you imagine how annoying it would be to stumble upon a book like that?  That was this book to me.
All it is is a bunch of examples of complex sentences with an equally complex narrative explaining and breaking down every step of the way, to the point where it's just endless complications coming from nowhere and going nowhere.  The author blatantly contradicts himself, and even points it out 10 chapters in.
In the opening chapters, I concentrated on forms, but matters of substance kept seeping in; in the later chapters, I surrendered to content, but my analyses always wanted to return to form.
The book was a mess, and I didn't buy it to read a factual representation of an opinion. The author was always in the middle or unsure, even in that respect.

I would not recommend it at all. I'm throwing this book out a window.

(Nevertheless, it did make me think about sentence structure a little more and influenced how I wrote this.  How'd I do?)

No comments:

Post a Comment